Publications & Documents

Publications & Documents

View our most recent publications here » read more

Contact us

How to make a complaint

We work to high standards and we hope this is reflected in your experience with us. We want to continue to improve our services so we welcome your feedback and we want to learn from our mistakes.

Making a complaint

If you’re unhappy with any part of our service, then we want to know about it. Anyone can make a complaint, including service users, victims and their families or members of the public. To be considered, your complaint has to be about the conduct or competence of an employee or employees of South Yorkshire Community Rehabilitation Company with respect to the delivery of probation services. This includes their actions and decisions or failures to act or decide.

We can’t look into something that is already being investigated by the police or subject to a decision by the courts, statutory tribunal, Parole Board, Crown Prosecution Service or the Criminal Cases Review Commission.

Your complaint won’t normally be considered if it’s about something that happened, or you knew about, more than 12 months ago.

Due to data protection regulations we may not be able to share information about an individual unless we have their permission.

Talk to us

As a first step you might find it more helpful to talk to the member of staff involved. You can do this either face to face or over the telephone. Tell them how you feel and why you’re unhappy with the service you have received. Try to remain calm so that the other person finds it easy to listen to you and understand your concerns. If you find it difficult talking to this person then you can ask to discuss your complaint with a more senior member of staff.

Write to us

You can make a formal complaint in writing. You can either use the form in this leaflet or write a letter. You should sign it and send it to:

CRC Director
South Yorkshire CRC
Unit 2
Hawke Street Business Park
S9 2SU

You can ask someone else to make the complaint on your behalf. To do this, you will need to write a short letter telling us that you have given this person permission to make the complaint for you. The letter will need to be signed by you and sent to us with the complaint.

The CRC Director will reply to you within five working days of receiving your letter. They will explain how your complaint will be handled and will tell you when you can expect to receive a formal response to your complaint.

What if I'm not satisfied?

If you are still not satisfied you can appeal within 20 working days of receiving a formal response. To do this, you should write to the CRC Director and explain why you want to appeal. The CRC Director will acknowledge your letter in writing, within five working days of receiving it.

A panel will then look at your appeal. They might ask to meet you and the officer investigating your complaint. The outcome will be sent to you within 20 working days of the receipt of your letter. The panel will let you know if they need more time to make a decision.

Taking further steps

If you have taken these steps but you’re still not satisfied with the decision, you can write to the Prison and Probation Ombudsman. You have to do this within three months of receiving your appeal decision. Address your letter to:

The Prisons and Probation Ombudsman
Third Floor
10 South Colonnade
Canary Wharf
E14 4PU

If you’ve taken all the steps available and you’re still not satisfied with the decision, then you can ask a Member of Parliament to refer your complaint to the Parliamentary Ombudsman for consideration. The Parliamentary Ombudsman will normally only deal with your case if you’ve already tried to resolve the complaint and received a response from us.

A complaint form which gives you all the information you’ll need can be found at or you can ask for a copy by calling 03450 154033.

Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | Cookie Policy This website uses cookies to track information. It does not store personal details. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies.